Saturday, February 20, 2010

Good Hair

I thought I was becoming quite the curly hair master and felt pretty well-informed...
then I watched this.

It has been fascinating to read about the debate over this film's subject and its cultural/political significance (read this for a fresh, and probably accurate, perspective on the film). Up until a year ago, I had no IDEA this issue even existed! I now realize that little girl hair is one thing and this white mama has a lot of other things to learn before Mia becomes adolescent.

I welcome all insight to this new (to me) world of relaxers, weaves, or otherwise from women who know...please...

(Anna, Asia, Charlene- if you are reading, this includes you!)

3 comments:

emily and logan said...

Good Hair is in our netflix queue. i'm looking forward to it. i know just as much as you do on the subject. you are very brave! :)

finem ruinam said...

Hi, I am a mother of five. Four beautiful children from my womb and one beautiful girl grown in my heart. She is ten months old and boy am I learning about hair too. She could be your babe's twin. I too fumble and worry about the hair to come. I have always bathed her head to toe in 100% pure and natural almond oil. I could never get myself to use any type of petroleum products. Carols Daughter's also has great natural products. I hope you don't mind me peaking in on your little family here and their. It is a beautiful one.
Taber in AZ

ps i'm boring my daughters google account to make this comment

Unknown said...

Let me know if you have any questions about hair.. the most important thing is Products. Sally has a good variety, I can tell you what I put in Nedeja's hair. There is also a site called mixedchicks.com I believe and they make product especially for mixed ethnicities, which should work for her curls! Nexus products work well for my hair too.