Monday, May 24, 2010

We've gone a drillin'

It has finally come time for us to invest into a $$$ source of water. Until now (for 2.5 years) David has diligently trucked water into our 3,000 gallon underground holding tank. These years have not been without mishap:

  • lots of showers with abrubt endings..."Would it be tacky to borrow water from our neighbor to rinse out this shamoo?"
  • lots of creative water conservation techniques..."Is this worth flushing?" or "Will Mia's dirty bathwater kill my basil plant?"
  • one known incident of decomposing rodent in the tank for an unknown period of time..."Does this water taste fishy to you?" and "Why do I smell like a dead animal while I am bathing?"
  • mid-winter, barefoot, interior tank sterilizings that resemble sub-arctic crevasse entrapment (I was consistently on the outside of the tank cheering for David through the tank's 12" opening)

Alas, those days saw their end as these trucks rolled into our cul-de-sac last week.



It took them four days to drill into 720 feet of granite. At first, we had hit only 1.75 gwpm, much to our consternation, but after convincing us to hydrofracture, or essentially break up the weak spots of our well walls, we ended up with 8 gwpm- a nice improvement.

The well site looks like some type of volcanic hot-spot right now:
As far as I am concerned, this well = water with which to irrigate, which = a grassy backyard for Mia & pups. Does anybody know of a good landscaper?

1 comment:

Dave and Abby said...

Oh my gosh! He trucked in all your water? That bit about smelling like a dead animal made me want to vomit. Sick. Your daughter is one of the most beautiful little girls I've ever seen. I'm so happy you both are able to enjoy such a sweet baby. Oh, and don't worry if you're confused who I am, I was in David's ward growing up, but I don't think you and I have met. I was blog spotting. Sorry.